Grading Offenses: Misdemeanors & Felonies
Pittsburgh Criminal Defense Lawyer
Whenever someone is charged with a crime there will be many factors involved that will affect how the offense is graded in terms of severity. It is important to know what the grades are and the penalties associated with each. A skilled Pittsburgh criminal defense lawyer will always negotiate for a lesser charge so you will want to choose an accomplished negotiator to represent you.
The offenses below are graded from the most severe at the top, diminishing in severity.
- Murder in the First Degree [Pa. Murder 1] and Murder in the Second Degree [Pa. Murder 2] The minimum and maximum penalty is the same: life without parole. The maximum fine is $50,000.00. A prosecutor may seek the death penalty in some Murder 1 cases.
- Murder in the Third Degree [Pa. Murder 3] Minimum prison sentence is 20 years and the maximum is 40. Maximum fine is $50,000.00.
- Felony in the First Degree [Pa. Felony 1] 10-20 years in prison and maximum fine of $25,000.00.
- Felony in the Second Degree [Pa. Felony 2] 5-10 years in prison and maximum fine of $25,000.00.
- Felony in the Third Degree [Pa. Felony 3] 3½ -7 years prison sentence and maximum fine of $15,000.00.
- Misdemeanor in the First Degree [Pa. Misdemeanor 1] 2.5-5 years in prison and a maximum fine of $10,000.00.
- Misdemeanor in the Second Degree [Pa. Misdemeanor 2] 1-2 years in prison and a maximum fine of $5,000.00.
- Misdemeanor in the Third Degree [Pa. Misdemeanor 3] 6 months in county jail is the minimum and maximum is one year. Maximum fine is $2,500.00.
- Summary Offense [Pa. Summary Offense] The minimum and maximum sentence is 90 days in the County Jail. The maximum fine is $300.
Criminal Defense Attorney in Pittsburgh
An arrest and conviction of a crime is a very serious matter. It can have severe and long-lasting effects that will make your future more difficult than it needs to be. A knowledgeable and committed criminal attorney on your side can make a significant difference on the outcome of your case. Attorney Frank Walker has the experience and skill that you want to create your defense.
If you are being investigated for a crime or you have been charged, contact a Pittsburgh criminal defense attorney at our firm today. We can help.